Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Spirit Deer: about the process of grisaille enamel painting

I am continuing to try to develop my skills in grisaille enamel painting. I have taken some shots of the process of developing the piece, so you can get some idea of how it's done. The design is the next in my series of spirit or ghost animals. All white animals in Celtic mythology were otherworldly animals. Most commonly the white deer was associated with Ossian's mother.
http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/forest/mythfolk/deer.html

I used a photo of an albino deer as my starting point.
.
.

grisaille enamel spirit deer
This was the first firing











grisaille enamel spirit deer Second coat painted












grisaille enamel spirit deer




Second coat fired









grisaille enamel spirit deer



Third coat painted








grisaille enamel spirit deer



Third coat fired







grisaille enamel spirit deer
Fourth coat painted










grisaille enamel spirit deer
Fourth coat fired

2 comments:

Isha said...

it looks so lovely. I have question, what mesh enamel do you use and are you mixing it with oil or water? what oil?

imagocorvi said...

In this piece I used Thompson 1995 regular mesh (right out of the jar, no washing) 2 coats on the front and back. The painting is done with china paint. I am not sure what the technical differences are between china paint and enamel paint - except that I find enamel paint generally to be too "slushy", whereas china paint goes on smoothly. You can usually purchase china paint at any pottery supply. In this piece I used an oil medium similar to squeege oil, with some other natural oils like oil of clove and balsam oil, but I have also successfully used water mediums that are glycerin based.