Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mythological Spirit animals: Grisaille (painted) enamel

Here are some of the other grisaille spirit animals I am working on with painted enamel.

I took these images from photographs. As I try to explore this new technique I want to try a lot of different approaches. But, being who I am, I wanted it to be related to mythology in some way. In Celtic lore - the otherwolrdly animal was always a white animal - and their were certain animals more likely than others to have supernatural associations.
.

grisaille enamel spirit seal selkie







Selkie: The seal was associated with stories of mermaids, or half seal women - who became beautiful women when they shed their seal skin.



grisaille enamel spirit fox










Spirit fox


grisaille enamel spirit owl Blodeuwedd








Blodeuwedd was a woman from Welsh mythology (the Mabinogion) who was made out of flowers by Gwydion for Llew Llaw Gyffes (since he had been cursed by his mother never to have a wife of this world). Alas, she proved unfaithful - and was turned into an owl as punishment, doomed to wander only at night. Read the full story here

1 comment:

Jan Moulder said...

Greetings Catherine, Love your work! And I've given you the Kreativ Blogger award on my blog.